February 17: General Strike
At this dangerous point in our history, we must confront how our participation in the economy has made us complicit in Donald Trump's rise to power. How do we change our relationship to the economy to empower ourselves rather than the economic system in place?
One of our most powerful weapons is our cooperation in the economic establishment by way of our labor and our dollars. This Friday February 17th, a general strike has been called for!
The logic of the general strike is simple. Through cooperative action, each and every one of us refuses to comply with whatever orders the economic establishment has given to us. We don't go to work, we don't buy anything, and we join our fellow citizens in the streets and in our communities in a peaceful display of resistance and solidarity.
1. DON'T BUY ANYTHING Shop the day before if necessary. We want the economy to register a dip in activity as a method of protest.
2. DON'T GO TO WORK OR SCHOOL, if possible. Plan a day of peaceful protest or community service. Here is a list of ways to get involved on this day of strike, even if you only have your lunch break in which to act.
3. REACH OUT TO YOUR REPS AND SENATORS and tell them you are striking in protest of this administration.
4. TAKE THE DAY TO CATCH UP ON PAST ACTIONS banked on our website or the website of any of your other favorite grassroots activists.
5. CHECK OUT Strike4Democracy for more info.
6. FOR THE FUTURE, USE GrabYourWallet to be a conscious consumer going forward.