Local Tuesdays : CA, FL, OR, NY, TX, Americans Resisting Overseas and upcoming elections
Thank you for your action submissions, please continue to help create our Local Tuesday emails us by submitting local actions weekly for your town, city, state, region or community by Monday at noon. Let us be your loudspeaker and help you make change in your community! Thank you!
School board election TODAY!
51 school board seats are up for re-election, and it's a great opportunity to flip politics and improve communities starting in schools. VOTE!
2 CALIFORNIA ACTIONS
1. Support End Child Poverty Bill AB 1520, which will help raise 1 million children in California out of poverty. The bill got through its first committee vote with unanimous support, but still has a ways to go before it’s passed.
CALL your CA Assembly Member and tell them you support it!
2. Urge Attorney General Xavier Becerra to Join State Investigations into Exxon. Exxon Mobil's own scientists told executives about the corporation's role in causing climate change as far back as the 1970's. Instead of acting on that information, Exxon funded a decades-long disinformation campaign that helped stall meaningful policy, while profiting from a product it knew was driving the world closer to disaster. MA & NY are investigating what Exxon knew and what it told its shareholders and the public - and they've started to raise serious questions. CA can be a leader in this movement too. It's time the state join the investigations.
SIGN this petition.
CONTACT the Attorney General at 916-445-9555 or local offices.
2 FLORIDA ACTIONS
1. Call on Governor Scott to veto Speaker Corcoran's Conforming Bill, which forces local school districts to subsidize charter schools, while exempting those charter schools from the requirements public schools must follow. This is not good for our children. It only serves to line the pockets of the charter school industry. Governor Scott still has the chance to veto. He and Speaker Corcoran have been feuding, so it won't take much to get him to veto the bill - let's do it!
CONTACT Governor Rick Scott at (850) 488-7146 or by email.
2. Help get Florida Rights Restoration on the ballot. It would restore voting rights to 1.6 million formerly incarcerated people in Florida. Felon voting rights have a bigger impact on elections than voter ID laws, and this could literally be the difference between a win and a loss in 2018 and 2020. It needs 700,000 signatures to qualify for the ballot by January and it needs people on the ground in Florida to gather those signatures by hand.
DONATE or VOLUNTEER through the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition.
2 NEW YORK EVENTS
1. TONIGHT, TUESDAY 5/16 - Got initiative? Print out our Easy Elections 1 sheet fliers and hand them out to people standing in line for Mayor DeBlasio's Town Hall in Borough Park. If they seem interested ask them to bring it up in the town hall. Town hall starts at 7, so go between 6 and 7 to find people in line.
2. THURSDAY 5/18 - DISCUSSION WITH BRIAN KAVANAGH
We'll have a special discussion with New York State Assembly Member Brian Kavanagh to hear how to run effective campaigns in New York State. Organized by our buddies Creative Resistance and co-sponsored by Downtown Women for Change, Easy Elections NY and 2 Hours A Week.
Thursday, May 18, 7-8:30pm
School of Visual Arts
136 West 21st St, First floor - Theater
New York, NY 10011
Learn more and take action at our new partner site Easy Elections NY.
Stop Discrimination in Texas Child Welfare System. House Bill 3859 would allow child-welfare providers that contract with the state to discriminate against LGBT families in foster care and adoption placements – and it could also block access to birth control or abortion services for teens in the state's CPS system.
SIGN this petition.
CONTACT your representative.
AMERICANS RESISTING OVERSEAS
Trump's first foreign trips will be to Saudi Arabia, Israel, Belgium & Italy, and there are groups resisting overseas working together to protest these visits. If you are in these 3 countries join the marches! If not, you can support them from afar!
Turnout will make the difference in these surprisingly competitive races that could flip seats in Congress, so pitch in by phone banking, donating, volunteering and spreading the word.
CA - Vote.
GA - Democrat Jon Ossoff nearly pulled an upset, coming in first in a very red district. Now he advances to the runoff, where the vote will be tighter.
MT - "Special Election Nobody Is Following Could Deal A Huge Blow To Trump".
SC - Another surprisingly competitive race in a red district can help flip the balance of power.
VA - Join the Flippable #flipVAblue campaign to elect Democrats to Virginia’s House of Delegates.