Personal Divestment Day - Undo Your Own Financial Ties to the DAPL
What's the point of protesting if our money is paying for the pipeline?
Companies building DAPL secured a $2.5 billion loan from over a dozen banks to build the pipeline, but that money won't be delivered until Standing Rock stands down, so we still have time to stop it. Standing Rock has asked us to join them today, on Divestment Day, to kick off a Global Month of Action, by calling our banks and pledging to move our money to banks that don't invest in DAPL. Send a message with your money and call on these lenders to cut off this line of credit and stop funding the DAPL.
1. CHECK TO SEE if your bank supports DAPL
2. TELL YOUR BANK you reject the notion of your money supporting DAPL. Promise to remove your money if they do not withdraw their funding.
• CALL and ask them to divest
• WRITE and quote their own policies back at them
3. CHOOSE A BANK THAT ALIGNS WITH YOUR VALUES: Find a local bank or credit union. We recommend Amalgamated Bank (they offer online banking and deposits, have free ATM's all over the city and is one of the only unionized banks in the United States) or OneUnited, America's largest Black-owned bank.
4. MOVE YOUR MONEY: Most credit unions offer a switch kit and here's a step-by-step guide to switching banks. You'll need to open your new account before you close the old one. Publicly close your big bank account by taking a picture with a sign saying #DeFundDAPL.